Tuesday, April 12, 2011

StrongerMarriage.Org

Just a thought...
love2 (1)

Today I learned that a friend of mine is getting a divorce.
I feel the same about divorce as I do about death in many ways---fear that it will be the end even though I've been taught and seen that there is life after; hating that people take it so lightly; and wondering if it will ever happen to me.

With death, I realize it is inevitable. Sigh.
But with divorce, I know it can be avoided.
That's one reason, among many, that we are doing this date-night thing.
I want a marriage that is unbreakable.
I want my husband to WANT to be with me forever.
I WANT to want to be with my husband.

I have several friends who have forgotten what being married means.
Its not just glorified roommates.
Its not just living with the other parent to the children.
Its not just keeping a contract that we made over an alter.

Its a friendship.
Its a partnership.
Its a job that doesn't get to punch out at the end of the day.
Its a love story that doesn't have an ending.
And it will stay that way because I am determined to treat my spouse like my best friend, like my most valued and trusted business partner, like a job I can't afford to lose, and like a story I don't want to end.
Its up to me. Its up to US.

As I mourned a little for my friend's marriage, I found this website: StrongerMarriage.org.
The tools within the site are fantastic for strengthening a marriage.
Maybe reading over it together would make for a good date night...

Just an idea.

1 comment:

  1. One last thought---I realize this isn't an actual date we went on and I apologize if it offends anyone that it isn't something we have actually done yet. This blog is about things we have DONE. But staying married is something we have DONE, and I hope this website helps someone, anyone, stay married if they are faltering at all.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete